Friday, January 16, 2009

Must Haves For The Pantry

I was reading Shauna's blog the other day. She was talking about things that she and her husband keep stocked in their pantry at all times. Her blog post was prompted by this article in the New York Times. Now I don't agree with Mark Bittman completely but I don't think he's a snob. Each cook has things they rely on and depending on their income, they buy accordingly.
But it gave me something to think about. What are things that I must have in our pantry? Here's my list:
-pasta (spaghetti, fettuccine, penne)
-canned tomatoes (crushed, paste, sauce)
-garlic (I prefer the jarred chopped kind. I used to use the whole cloves but got tired of the hassle)
-butter
-ramen
-milk
-canned black olives
-onions
-sugar
-salts
-pepper
-frozen veggies (broccoli, lima beans, green beans)
-lemon juice
-onions
-broth (chicken, beef, or veggie)
-mayo
-mustard
-curry mix
-old bay seasoning
-oil (olive, peanut, grapeseed)
-jarred salsa
-rice
-beans (garbanzo, pinto, and kidney)
-canned green chilies
I think that's everything. With all those things I can make lots of meals. Add meat or tofu and I'm good to go.
So what about you? What are things you stock your pantry with?

3 comments:

  1. He he he, my hubbys job is to peel and cut up the garlic. We rely on it so much we tend to assume we always have it even when it's run out.

    So we have about three different version scattered about our house right now.

    Alot of ours is the same as yours (aside from the onions, hubby can't eat them and olives I hate them).

    I'd probably add cream cheese to it as well as I can make a lot of sauces and tasty mashed potatoes when the mood strikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must have salsa! :) Lol ... on and instant korean noodles! :)

    RelentlessBride

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the article- it was very interesting. We MUST have: tomatoes, onions, cilantro and limes. Always chicken and always milk. I pick up the veggies weekly at the store.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.