Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Weekly Geek #7


Is there a particular era that you love reading about? Tell us about it--give us a book list, if you'd like. Include pictures or some fun facts from that time period, maybe link to a website that focuses on that time. Educate us.

Do you have a favorite book that really pulled you back in time, or perhaps gave you a special interest in that period? Include a link to a review of it on another book blog if you can find one (doesn't have to be a Weekly Geek participant).

Historical romance is one of my guilty pleasures. I tend to shy away from romance especially Harlequin romance novels. But I confessed my guilty pleasure a few weeks ago, so here's the whole confession.
When I was a teen I found Sunfire Romance novels. I think I read Jacquelyn first which I don't seem to have anymore. I was entraced with the time (the Depression) and her struggles to afford things that she had before the depression. It seemed so romantic. I made an effort to find more. I wound up collecting 10 of the 32 books.I liked the different time periods. I don't really have a favorite time period although I tend to gravitate toward medieval and Civil War era. Odd combo huh?
Any other closet historical romance readers out there?

3 comments:

  1. I've really gotten into period pieces in England from the reign of Henry II. Also anything set in France in the 17th century.

    Some eras I can't stand though. Okay mostly anything from the Romantic period. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medieval, Renaissance and Tudor England or WWII in Europe. Absolutely fascinated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved, loved, loved these books when I was in high school. The one that sticks in my mind involved the Johnstown flood and a love triangle.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.