Monday, August 10, 2009

Confession

I think you might have all guessed by now. I like food. I like to eat. I like to eat a lot of things-fruits, veggies, meats, pies, cakes, donuts, tofu, ice cream, yogurt. I'll have a salad with organic veggies with a Totino's pizza. I'll buy non-GMO tofu and stop at Micky D's for chicken nuggets. I'm definitely all over the place food wise.
I recently read Food Matters by Mark Bittman and In Defense of Food by Michael Pollen. I felt that if you read one you really didn't need to read the other. They say the same thing-don't eat processed food, limit meat consumption, and eat all the veggies you want. And I agree while I eat my pizza pocket!
For the past couple of weeks I've been beating myself up about my food choices. I eat a lot of processed food. I wish I didn't but I do. I don't have time to make everything from scratch. Somethings have to be from a box (pasta) or from a can (tomato sauce) for me. According to Pollen and Bittman I need to give up those items and toward less processed foods. Le sigh, I've been wracking my brain on how to do that without quiting work.
Then another food writer, someone I truly admire decided to share her words on the topic. Nancy Lesson writes for the Seattle Times about food. And on Friday she wrote this article about the same thing I was grappling with. Nancy's right. We can be all things rather than being caught up in what we are doing "wrong". Instead of getting upset that I can't buy all organic food, I will buy it when I can (cause it's expensive!). I will support local growers first and national chains last. I will continue to try new things and be open to new possiblities. I will continue to enjoy food and encourage others to do as well!
Alright that's settled now. Excuse me while I make some Kraft Mac & Cheese.

5 comments:

  1. I take a lot of those buzz words with a big heaping boulder of salt sometimes. The in thing now is to go back to what the cavemen ate, science is evil blah blah blah.

    In 30-50 years it'll all change again, and maybe processed eating your meals in pill form will be the big thing.

    All I know is that if you want something that is much less likely to contain dangerous pathogens look to the processed foods. (I can't even begin to count all the recalls that are due to organic food lately).

    And my food scientists husband gets so pissed at all the faketritionists (who really don't learn much if any science at all, it's quite horrifying realy) who just tout the latest buzz words to make some money from a book deal and don't really know jack shit.

    Local is good, but just buying that organic wrapped in three things of packaging slightly rotting and flown from venezuala because it has that magical O word is not helping anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start out small. I saw Super Size Me and I can honestly never eat fast food again- and I haven't for 15 weeks. This month we started receiveing our produce baskets from our CSA. I find my choices to work for me- find out what works for you. I make my own bread and pasta but refuse to give up hot dogs, Hebrew Nationals of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand! I try so hard not to buy anything processed at the grocery store, and then ask Hubby to bring home Jack in the Box because I don't want to cook. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very wickedly funny!!! I agree that it is so hard to incorporate good eating into busy lives. Back in the day when they ate strictly from the farm, people had more time to make their food from scratch. I try to incorporate a lot of brown rice, we've thrown out white processed flour, more fresh fruit, yogurt, salads etc. Right now I'm making dinners from my Weight Watchers cook book. Not too many complaints from the hubby!! We're all with you on this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way. I do try to make the best food choices that I can, but because of budget and time, it's just not always possible. Plus, I think sometimes marketers stretch the truth on some of those terms. Sometimes.
    My problem is that I just eat TOO MUCH of the food!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.