Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Halloween Costume Inspiration


For Halloween we've been invited to a murder mystery party set in the old west. My character is an widow and the suggested outfit was pretty basic-a black top and black skirt. But I had a specific idea in mind.
 
 I know the ladies of Avonlea aren't old west but it was the proper look I was going for. 
But in doing my research it was in line what women wore in that time period. I did some searching and did find some stuff online but it was pretty expensive. I was concerned that if I ordered something it might not fit and I might not have enough time to get something else.  We headed out to the stores to see what we could find. I choose this:
 
Of course I won't need the broom, cape or hat. But the buttoned up top was exactly what I wanted. Sure it's a little flimsy but we'll be inside and I think I'll be fine.
So what about Tai? His character is a cowboy.

But without the fringe and in black. Adult sized of course. We found the hat so far. Chaps don't seem to come in Tai's size. He's also obsessed with a duster.

We couldn't find a play one in his size and the real ones were more than we wanted to spend for a one night thing. But I am taking this opportunity to get myself some black cowboy boots.



We did go to the one Western clothing store near here and found $400 boots. I'll keep looking.
I'm kind of excited about the party. I've been to two other murder mystery parties and they are a lot of fun. I'm also excited to get all dressed up!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time.

    Reminds me of my old Goodwill hunting days coming up with costumes. It was a lot of work but it's amazing what you can find and reconstitute.

    Eventually we found enough to make two hobbits, a wizard and an elf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- can't wait to hear about the party- sounds lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been to a murder mystery party, I bet it will be lots of fun...can't wait to see pics!
    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to go to one of those! How fun!!!

    Have you thought about wearing a doilie or some hankerchief at your neck with a pin, like in the picture??

    And, has Tai found his belt and belt buckle yet?? ;-) Every Cowboy needs a big buckle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The adult "cowboy" looks like he's done up as an Aussie Jackeroo. The hat looks very like an Akubra in form. Is the coat what you call a duster? We call oilskin coats like that drizabone (dry as a bone).

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.