Tuesday, January 4, 2011

End of 2010 Book Survey

End of 2010 Survey stolen from Perpetual Page Turner.


Best of 2010?
Can't choose just one! The Help, Almost Perfect, Ballad and Lament were my favorite reads of the year.


Worst of 2010?
I couldn't finish Blindness by Jose Saramago. I know other people enjoyed it. Perhaps it was the translation. Maybe I'll try it again later.

Most Disappointing Book of 2010?
Justine by The Marquis De Sade. I'd wanted to read the Marquis for a long time. For his time his writing was probably very risque but I found it slightly dull.


Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010?
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Once I discovered that it was a thriller/mystery, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. But I loved it.


Book you recommended to people most in 2010?
Both The Help, Almost Perfect and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I couldn't stop talking about these books for weeks after I read them.

Best series you discovered in 2010?
I seriously hope that Maggie Stiefvater continues The Books of Faerie series because that was the best series I read in 2010. I also read 3 more books in the Women of The Otherworld series and am loving it even more! I'm also looking forward to the next in the Newsflesh series after reading the first one.


Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010?
Maggie Stiefvater, Jane Yolen, Midori Snyder, Cherie Priest. I can't wait to read more by them.

Most hilarious read of 2010?
It's a toss up between When You Are Engulfed In Flames or I Was Told There'd Be Cake. I laughed out loud at both of them. 

Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?
Most thrilling? Yeah that goes to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played With Fire. Both of them equally engaging and not the kind of book I would usually pick up. I'm really glad i did though.

Book you most anticipated in 2010?
I was excited for The Second Short Life Of Bree Tanner. I loved Twilight and I was excited to have more of that world. I wasn't thrilled by the book but enjoyed a dip back in the Twilight pond. I was also really excited about Radiant Shadows and loved being back in The Wicked Lovely world. I can't wait for Darkest Mercy to come out!

Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010?
Probably my favorite cover is Luxe:
I love the dress.

Most memorable character in 2010?
Lisbeth Salander from the Millennium trilogy. I've never read anything like her. I find her fascinating. I couldn't stop thinking about Sage and Logan from Almost Perfect. After I finished Almost Perfect, I couldn't stop thinking about them and what would have happened to them. James and Nuala from Ballad also got stuck in my mind for days after I finished the book.

Most beautifully written book in 2010?
The Secret Life of Bees was a beautifully written story with fabulous characters. The Language of Trees had fantastically wonderful prose.

Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? 
There wasn't one book that had a great impact on me. I took away a lot from many books I read.

Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read?
The Secret Life Of Bees. It was the last book I read in 2010. Such a great book. I can't believe it took me til now to read it.

6 comments:

  1. wow that dress, now why can't we wear things like that now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adored Secret Life of Bees..one of my favorite books ever. That cover is luxurious and I love it!! Fun post Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad Blindness didn't work out for you! I found it a bit tough to get into in the beginning, but after I did, I devoured it. I hope that if you do try it again, it works out better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I starting reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last year for book club but didn't get very far! Maybe I should try again?
    I've added your favorites of the year to my "to read" list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that dress is beautiful!

    i've heard a lot about the "The Girl" series. i haven't read it but I really do hear it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) I read The Help in December. It's one of the best books I've ever read. I was so stressed out worrying about the character's safety.

    2) I just finished Pilot's Wife (eh) and need something new. I'm going to look up your #1s right now. (I actually visited tonight to search for a book suggestion!)

    3) I'v started The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo at least 4 times and can't get past page 5.

    4) I can't wait to finish Julia. I keep putting her down, but LOVE it so far.

    5) I hope you had a great new year and holiday!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.