Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Spinach Mushroom Quiche

For some reason I bought whole wheat pie crusts. I couldn't see making a fruit pie out of them, so I decided a quiche would be perfect. Plus I needed an idea for breakfast. We were getting tired of french toast or eggs and pancakes. So I used this recipe as a base and added things I thought would be good.

Spinach Mushroom Quiche
(adapted from Real Simple)


Ingredients:


1 9 inch whole wheat pie crust
1 tbs. oil (olive, canola, grapeseed etc)
1/2 medium onion chopped
Salt and Pepper
5 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 bunch of spinach 
4 oz of white mushrooms chopped
1 1/4 cup of shredded cheese (I used a combo of cheddar cheeses)

Sauté the onion in the oil til soft. Add mushrooms and the spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted and mushrooms are soft. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl combine the eggs, milk and cayenne. Add cooled spinach-mushroom mix. Stir together with cheese, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into pie crust.
Place quiche on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Cook at 375º for 35-40 minutes til knife inserted into center comes out clean. Serve with a salad or fresh fruit. 

1 comment:

Shiny! I love comments.