Monday, April 23, 2012

A Sudden Country by Karen Fisher

I picked up A Sudden Country after reading about it on Shelf Talk. I need to get cracking on the Western Genre challenge. It certainly fit the challenge but wasn't my favorite read.
A Sudden Country focuses on Lucy, a married mother, and MacLaren, a trader, travelling on the Oregon Trail. Lucy is travelling with her children and her second husband. Life on the trail is hard. Lucy and her family are moving to Oregon to start a new life. MacLaren is running from his demons. Both are searching for something along the trail.
I loved the writing. So beautiful. It could really see the rugged countryside. But it was slow. Fisher took her time travelling the trail.
It was a great book about life on the Oregon Trail but a little slow for my taste. Others who shared their thoughts on A Sudden Country: Civil Thoughts, Reading, Writing, Working, Playing, and Sarahlynn's Writing Blog.
This is my first read for the Western Genre Reading Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. I remember reading a few books about the Oregon trail growing up, but I don't think I've ever read adult fiction on it. I would love to though, and this might be a good one to start with.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.