Saturday, June 16, 2012

Weekend Cooking: Sweet Potato Hash

I enjoy making breakfast on the weekends. But we get tired of the eggs-bacon-toast routine. I'll make french toast for a few weeks but then that no longer becomes exciting. A few months ago I found this recipe for sweet potatoes with andouille sausage. We had enjoyed it and I wanted to make it again. But on this particular morning, we didn't have andouille sausage. We had pork belly.
I had gotten pork belly as part of the meat package from Full Circle. I had no idea what to do with it. Yes, I'd eaten pork belly at a restaurant but this pork belly looked like bacon. Hey, wait a minute. What if I cooked it with the sweet potatoes, made a hash. Would that be a good breakfast? Hell, yeah.
I like topping things with eggs.

New breakfast achievement unlocked!

Sweet potato hash

2 large sweet potatoes (or yams if that's what you have), cubed
1/2 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 pound pork belly (bacon would also work)
3 tbs Emeril's Essence (Old Bay would also work or your own combination of spices)

Heat oven to 375.
Fry pork belly. You need to render the fat here. I fried the pork belly until it was pretty crispy. All that leftover pork belly fat will be mixed with your potatoes later. Save fat, put crispy pork belly aside for now.
Mix sweet potatoes, onion and pepper in large roasting pan. Pour pork belly fat over potatoes/onions/pepper mix. Add seasoning and mix to coat potato/onion/pepper mix. Cook for 40 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
Chopped up pork belly and stir into hash. Cook for another 10 minutes. Plate hash and top with a fried egg.

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see thewelcome post.

11 comments:

  1. I have only had pork belly in a restaurant too, but this looks like a recipe my family would enjoy for breakfast. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet potatoes and andouille but never had them together. I've never cooked pork belly and I'm not sure I've ever eaten it. If it is somewhat like bacon, I'd probably like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think of pork belly as unflavored bacon. It tasted more like pork chop than bacon.

      Delete
  3. Boy that's one heck of a breakfast. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Good Lord, that looks good!

    Hash with eggs on top is my runaway fave breakfast! And, your take on it is really clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like dinner for breakfast to me?! O_o Probably gave you a lot of energy to get through the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good! I made this once but from a recipe from Ellie somebody on FoodNetwork. I enjoy this on vacations. Makes it a special treat. I'm sure Emeril's recipe is much tastier though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, WOW - this sounds amazing. I wouldn't even know how to go about finding pork belly, but this seems totally worth it. I may be drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy moly does that look awesome and those potatoes look nice and crispy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delish! I am a sweet potato fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sweet potato hash sounds a perfect start to the morning, but I have no idea what pork belly is. eeks. considering how daring I am with most foods, there is some meat I won't go near.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.