Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Maid by Kimberly Cutter

I picked up The Maid after hearing about it. I do enjoy historical fiction based in Medieval France. I didn't know a whole lot about Joan of Arc but I looked forward to learning more. While I did learn more about Joan of Arc, The Maid fell flat for me. 
The Maid starts towards the end of Joan's journey when she's imprisoned, looking back over how she got there. I enjoyed the parts when Joan was younger before she led the French army against the English. Cutter did a great job of creating a lot of authentic detail. I just didn't connect with Joan. I almost did give up on The Maid but I had a hundred pages left and felt silly quitting so close to the end.   I'll definitely be looking for more books on Joan of Arc.
I would skip The Maid. Others who shared their thoughts on The Maid: Devourer of Books, Luxury Reading, and Historical Fiction Notebook.

1 comment:

  1. I have never really given Joan of Arc much thought. Sorry this one fell flat but I'm sure there has to be a better book out there for you!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.