Friday, August 3, 2012

The Thorn and The Blossom by Theodora Goss

I picked up The Thorn and The Blossom because it looked interesting. I mean it's an accordion book. One story told from two sides. I thought the premise was interesting but the story lacked oomph.
Both Evelyn and Brendan get a chance to tell the story. It doesn't matter which one you read first. The story is kind of the same either way but it was good to have both perspectives. The story was simple. Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy finds girl 10 years later. I liked how Goss also weaved the story of Sir Gawain and The Green Knight. It added an element of history, made the story seem timeless. But Evelyn and Brendan weren't terribly interesting to me. Despite the shortness of the story (82 pages), there was enough characterization and backstory but I didn't really feel anything for either of them.
Overall, an okay read, nothing amazing. Others who shared their thoughts on The Thorn and The Blossom: The Sweet Bookshelf, Fluttering Butterflies, and Things Mean a Lot.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing amazing?? Darn. I had some high hopes for this one. Crossing it off my list!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.