Saturday, December 14, 2013

Weekend Cooking: Crock Pot Corn Chowder with Bacon

I had seen this corn chowder on Mavis' blog a while ago. I made it once and Tai said "Needs more bacon and roasted garlic". So the next time I made it, I added our changes. All of us really enjoyed it. I made it for Thanksgiving lunch. But it's perfect for any cold day.

Crock Pot Corn Chowder with Bacon
(adapted from Mavis' Corn Chowder with Potatoes, Bacon, and Chives)

16 oz frozen corn
8 oz of diced potatoes
1 lb of bacon, cooked and diced
1/2 onion, diced
8 cloves of roasted garlic, smashed
4 cups of chicken broth
3 cups of milk
1/4 cup butter
4 tbs cornstarch

Put corn, potatoes, bacon, onion, and garlic in crock pot. To smash garlic, take roasted garlic in a bowl. With the back of a spoon, mash the garlic. Just to make sure you don't get a mouthful of garlic. Pour 3 1/2 cups of chicken broth into crock pot. Cook on low for 3-5 hours, basically til the potatoes are fork tender. 
When potatoes are fork tender, add milk and butter, cook on low for another hour. My soup wasn't as creamy as I wanted so I took the remaining broth, put in a mixing bowl, added cornstarch to create a slurry. I turned the crock pot up to high and added the cornstarch/broth mixture. I stirred it to get that great creamy look. 
Serve with some buttered bread. Made 6 generous bowls.



Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm...potato soup is just so comforting. The perfect winter meal in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pinning this recipe, it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look like the perfect soup for a winter day!

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good chowder and this one done in the crock pot would be great for a weekday dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More bacon and more garlic? Sounds like a recipe for deliciousness. This chowder looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.