Monday, January 27, 2014

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach


I had picked up The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel on a whim. I knew it was a movie but hadn't seen it. I thought it would be good to start with the book. I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

The book follows the lives of several British seniors. For one reason or another, they can't stay at their current residence. Rising costs, dwindling pensions, and inadequate healthcare force each of the seniors to seek alternate housing. That's when The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel comes in. Cousins Sonny and Ravi have the great idea to open a retirement community in Bangalore, India. One by one the seniors move to India.

I loved the richness of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. First there were the seniors. Moggach does an excellent job of creating realistic characters. One of my complaints about a lot of books that seniors are either the doting mother or the senile old codger. You had some stereotypes here but plenty of real human interactions. One of the characters talks about how no one touches her anymore and she feels empty. That's a real problem for a lot of older people. I loved the little bit of romance and the desire for companionship that many of the characters wanted.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel would be a great book club book. So many wonderful discussions waiting to happen. I do plan to watch the movie but for the trailers I don't think it's very faithful to the book. Others who shared their thoughts: Bond With Books, Secluded Charm, and Sam Still Reading.

1 comment:

  1. You're going to enjoy the movie, too! I've been meaning to read the book ever since I watched it...

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.