Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

I'd heard so many good things about The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. I'd meant to read it a dozen times but never did. So I got from the library and refused to return it unread. Wow. I'm sorry I waited so long. Alexie is the real deal and I adored The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian.

Junior lives on the rez with his folks. He's poor, his parents are poor. In fact everything Junior knows is poor. Junior also knows a lot of people who are alcoholics and a lot of people who get beat up including himself. Unlike his friend, Rowdy, Junior gets beat up by other kids at school. Junior dreams of a different and better life. One day, a teacher tells Junior that he should leave the rez if he wants his life to change. Junior asks his parents if he can go to a school in a town 22 miles away, a school full of white people.

Alexie pulls no punches. He tells you exactly how Junior lives with all the cracks and faults. Junior dreams of more than life on the rez will give him. Junior doesn't want to be poor, an alcoholic, or beat other people up. Junior wants to write comic books. What I loved about Junior is that he was like all of us. Looking for acceptance, looking for hope. He wasn't finding it where he was so he was brave enough to leave and look for it elsewhere. Junior's life is tough but he never gave up and he didn't let anyone tell him he couldn't find somewhere he belonged.

I also loved the art through the book. Forney does a great job of drawing Junior's cartoons. I felt like that art enhanced the book. I can't wait to read more of Alexie's books. Others who shared their thoughts on The Absolutely True Diaries of a Part Time Indian: Read. Breathe. Relax, James Reads Books, Finding My Forever, and The Book Smugglers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.