Thursday, May 21, 2015

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

A coworker recommended The White Tiger. Her recommendation stuck and I put The White Tiger on my holds list at the library. I'm really glad she recommended it. The White Tiger was such an amazing read.

The story is told over seven nights while Balram is writing to the Premier of China. Balram hears that the Premier is coming to learn about India's entrepreneurs. Balram is a great entrepreneur and wants to share his story with the Premier. The story jumps around from Balram's childhood to today. It's a dramatic story full of suspense. The story was very unique to me and I found it gripping. Balram's story is full of angry and frustration. Born poor, Balram decides to try to find a way out of the poverty in India. It's a struggle and not easy. The caste system in India is rigid. Balram has to make choices about what he feels is right or wrong. Balram was a unique and fascinating character I won't soon forget.

I recommend The White Tiger. It was definately outside of my comfort zone but a fantastic story about a life so different than mine. Others who shared their thoughts on The White Tiger: The Bookbag, Reflecting By The Shore, and Reading On A Rainy Day.

3 comments:

  1. Another book I should read, and I am sure my library has it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this on my list for ages! I definitely need to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this several years ago Linda and really liked it. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Shiny! I love comments.