Monday, November 21, 2016

Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson

This is the third Woodson book I've read this year. I keep gobbling up her books. They are so beautiful, unlike others I've read. Woodson is talking about this world, our world, and being brown in it. I look forward to more of her books.

August was living in Tennessee until her father moved her and her brother to Brooklyn. It's the 1970's. August is becoming a women, trapped between girlhood and adulthood. Although I was born later, I remember that in between stage. Being pushed towards adulthood while clinging to childhood. Not understanding what you are feeling but wanting to feel more, not wanting to feel at all. Woodson captures this all in such an amazing way.

Another Brooklyn is one of those books you don't want to end. Woodson has an amazing talent. I highly recommend picking up one of her books. This one if you can. It will transport you to 1970's Brooklyn. Make you feel young and old at the same time. Give you understanding and take it away. Amazing and beautiful. Others who shared their thoughts on Another Brooklyn: Library Love Fest, Hopelessly Devoted Biblophile, and Hollywood The Write Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.