Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Pretty Good Number One by Matthew Amster-Burton

I must have checked out Pretty Good Number One 4 or 5 times from the library. The story sounded interesting to me. A Seattle family goes to live in Tokyo for a month, mostly to eat. Matthew and his daughter, Iris, are Japanese food fanatics. From yakitori to  Chankonabe to okomiyaki., they went to Japan to try it all. Seattle has decent Japanese community and several Japanese restaurants. Sushi is the most common, but Ramen and, of course Teriyaki, are easy to find. I knew one yakitori joint that diversified their menu and therefore limiting the yakitori available. Pretty Good Number One just pushed Tokyo to the top of my travel wish list.
Amster-Burton's style is conversational. I felt like he was talking to me. And because he lives in Seattle, he made comparisons to things I know. I enjoyed his stories. I learned a lot about Japanese food which surprised me since I already know a lot. Now, back to looking up fares to Tokyo.
Others who shared their thoughts on Pretty Good Number One: Readers Lane, La Fuji Mama, and The adventures of Furochan.
This was my sixth read for the Foodies Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shiny! I love comments.